Total page showings

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Socializing and alcohol

Hi guys!

I'm honestly unsure of what this post is 100% going to be about, and what the title is going to be, but I'll figure out along the way as I get into the writing. I have different suggestions for the title, but I don't really know what will be fitting yet.. I'll get to the writing, and then we'll see what fits.

There is a tendency among some teenagers, that the only way of being socially together in larger groups, are at parties or other occasions where you get drunk. Being drunk is a apparently a condition for meeting new people and bond with ones you don't really know already. I have been told by a guy who holds this opinion; "it is just easier to get to know people when your guards are down, and you are open to new people, experiences and ideas".

I get why some people feel like they need alcohol to be able to open up to new people (I'll come back to that later), but you can call me old-fashioned - I don't understand why you would think that you can't socialize without alcohol in your system. Yes, alcohol can make you relax a bit, and help you break down some of your own walls, but you should really be able to do this completely sober as well.

In the weekend my class had planned a delayed "Christmas dinner-party-thing", and the school had held a party the day before, so everyone was quite smashed. A few of us turned up earlier than the rest to cook, and the mood was quite cozy, all we were drinking was sodas. At the "dinner" (sounds to fancy for what it really was, it was just tacos), a few people drank a beer or two, but most, again, drank soda or water. The night slightly evolved into a game night (as in board games, listening to music and eating crisps and candy), instead of a party - and I honestly think that it was one of the nicest times I've ever had with my class.

I think that a lot of young people today start partying way too early - which might be a topic all to itself - and they then "grow up" with the norm that you have to get drunk to have fun, or to meet new people. Of course this doesn't apply to all teenagers, and I might step over some toes here, but this is my opinion! You can easily have fun without alcohol, and I was so pleasantly surprised that our class was able to "function" with each other at an arrangement where you went willingly, and everybody was included.

Is this posts messed up yet, because it is already kind of messed up in my head. My point with this post is that I think the the young teenagers should learn that fun doesn't always involve alcohol, and that alcohol most certainly doesn't always include fun. The fact that some people believe that socialization can only really happen at an intoxicated state, is damaging for some people's ability to evolve the ability to socialize, later in life, which honestly is just sad.

 I really don't think that you should base your friendships solely on how people have acted drunk, cause you might think that you see "the true nature of someone" when you meet them drunk - but the majority of people change, if only a little, when they get drunk. Some people get aggressive, some get very emotional and others (the more pleasant company, according to my opinion) just get very happy and joyful to be around.

Again, I think this post has gotten very weird, but just hold on a bit longer, if you mind.
I see the point that if you feel socially awkward and shy, alcohol might help you meeting new people because you'll feel less shy and awkward around these guys and gals. For some people it might seem like the only option, to get a little tipsy - but you might change, and even the slightest change can be too strange for some people, maybe for some of the guys and girls you've befriended. All according to how much you drink, and how you might change - some people might no recognize the sober you, and might not want to be friends with the person you really are.

You can easily have fun without involving alcohol, but if you really don't think otherwise, just be flippin' careful, okay? Thanks. Cheers (so to say..)

No comments:

Post a Comment