Total page showings

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teaching abandonment

I've been told be the lovely Helene that she is tired of seeing the lovely TARDIS all the time, so here we go - a new post ;-) (and I am sorry on advantage for all the spelling mistakes this one might contain..)

Hi guys!

So today has been quite eventful! In the country I live in, the government wants to cut drastically in the student "paycheck" so to say.. Where I live the students (after they are 18) receive monthly paycheck to help us live our lives. The extra money help us buy books and maybe even computers for school. Basically these money make sure that we have time to study properly!

Now that the government wants to cut very much in these money, a lot of the younger people (from high school to end of university age) are furious about this. At my gymnasium we then today voted if we wanted to abandon the classes today. The suggestion came from the student council, and had the full support from all of the teachers.

At the big morning assembly-thing 73% of the students votes "yes" to the abandonment of the lessons, and then a whole new agenda was set in motion. Around there school there were different activities, like classrooms where you could hear about how and what the government wants to save money. We are talking about two billions here, and with a country with only about six million people, and not that many students, that is something we are defiantly going to feel!

As mentioned there has been activities around the school, and another one of them was painting banners for a big demonstration in our nations capital this Thursday. I really want to go, and I got the full permission from my father, but my mother doesn't seem to be just as supportive. I am going. Bum, now it's written - I am going!

Of course I see the fairness in cutting a little bit off of the monthly "allowance", and I know that we can't just lay back and expect these economical problems to go away and solve themselves, we have to take part and take on our responsebility, I just don't think this is the way to do it! Cutting a little bit off these "paychecks" could still help, and not cause as much rage among the students.

Just because we protest against what we think is unfair, doesn't mean that we are lazy and greedy, it means we are realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment